Want to start a personal or professional blog but don’t know where to begin? Read this Free Blogging For Beginners Guide and jumpstart your blog today!
Before you jump into blogging, let’s go over a few things like what exactly is a blog and why you might want to start one!
What is a blog?
A blog is a regularly updated web site made up of web pages. It’s typically created and managed by an individual or a collective of people. It’s an informal way to write about any topic whether personal or professionally. A blog is or should be updated on a regular basis, either daily, weekly or monthly –whatever works with your schedule.
The term Blog is an abbreviated version of the term “Web Log” – it’s a serious of journal/diary entries or “logs” written on one or several web pages.
Why do you want to start a blog?
Figure out why you want to start a blog and use this as the motivation to keep it going! The reasons were obvious for me: I love to write but I don’t want to write a novel. I like to write about my personal experiences and share it with others. I also want to be able to work from home. Blogging allowed me to do this.
By starting a blog and growing your readership/followers, you can start to monetize your blog and earn an income from it! Having your own blog allows you to call the shots. Blog whenever you want and about anything that interests you. Make it your own space.
How to start a blog
- Name Your Blog: Come up with a name and tagline for your blog. Use this as a basis for your blog topics when you’re writing a blog post. Try to keep it simple so that it’s easy to remember for both you and your potential readers.
- Register a .com Domain: Check Godaddy.com to see if your name is available as a domain name. Try to stick to 1-2 word domain names and try not to use hypens. Register your domain name right away! They go fast!
- Set Up Web Hosting: Sign up for paid web hosting service and set up your blog using 1-click installation to install WordPress (WordPress has a an amazing library of themes to help you create a design layout for your blog!). If you want to get serious about making money blogging, this is the best investment you will make and it doesn’t cost much to get started. Check out my list of top web hosting companies to sign up with below.
I recommend these web hosting companies:
- Blue Host – Blue Host has plans starting at $3.95 per month. You also get a free domain and they have an easy 1-click WordPress installation button.
- WP Engine – If you plan on using WordPress to build your blog and know that you’re going to get a lot of traffic to your blog once it’s up (fingers crossed), WPEngine is the best web hosting company for you. They are robust and have an excellent track record with popular bloggers and big companies!